If you?re a big runner and you need a change of scenery, this Costa Rica 8-day running tour is perfect for you. Not only will you run through parks and tropical rainforests, but you can test your running skills on beaches and against San Jose locals, too. Plus, during your eight days in Costa Rica, you?ll enjoy wine, Costa Rican coffee, and locally sourced meals.
- 8-day running tour of Costa Rica
- Run to Poas Volcano and through La Sabana Metropolitan Park
- Get an opportunity to run with locals in San Jose
- Choose to run on one of Costa Rica’s beaches or swim in the water
- Take breaks from running to enjoy wine and Costa Rican coffee
- Catch sight of local wildlife such as toucans and monkeys
- Meals are included per itinerary
What You Can Expect
Day 1: San Jos? – (D) Meet as a group and receive a detailed explanation of the upcoming training schedule (and weekend race if itinerary applies). Have a customary glass of wine to relax and share stories and expectations of the week to come.
Day 2?-?(B, L, D) Savor an early morning cup of Costa Rican coffee and a healthy breakfast before you head straight up into the mountains close to your hotel for one of the best views of the surrounding metropolitan area.
Today?s running distance: 6-8 miles (10-13km) Altitude: 3000ft.
Terrain: Off-Road Gravel 70% Pavement 30%. A vehicle and certified guide will be nearby to provide assistance and hydration.
Day 3: Arenal means Adventure?-?(B, L) Early in the morning, begin a run through the Sabana Park only 15 minutes from your hotel in San Jose where runners gather each morning. Train for about an hour thirty minutes, and continue our journey to Arenal Volcano. Have a nice traditional Costa Rican breakfast and head toward your hotel near the Arenal Volcano. Do a twilight run through the surrounding rural landscape and finish back at the lodge for a dip in the freshwater, spring-fed pool and toast to a day well done with a glass of wine. Fall asleep to the sounds of the jungle around you.
Today?s running distance: 3-6 miles (5-10km) Altitude: 2000ft
Terrain: Off-Road Gravel 50% Pavement 40%.
Day 4: It?s time for adventure -?(B, L) Early in the morning, start running from the hotel through a wonderful off-road surrounded by a tropical forest until Rio Chiquito you would have the opportunity as you run to enjoy the local wildlife like toucans, monkeys, mammals, then refresh and enjoy the Waterfall La Fortuna. At the base of the waterfall, there is a natural pool where you can swim in the fresh water of La Fortuna River for about one hour.
Today?s distance: 12 miles (20 km) Altitude: (2000 ft.)
Terrain: Gravel 100% off road an ATV vehicle will be riding along to provide assistance and hydration.
Day 5-6: Beach Time You will have time to enjoy the beaches of this tropical paradise on the gorgeous Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. In the afternoon, get ready to continue running.
Day 7: Back to San Jos??- (D) Enjoy a final swim in the ocean or run on the beach before transferring to your hotel in San Jose. Tonight, get together at dinner to review your mileage and have a group discussion on accomplishments, share photos and fondest memories of your adventures in Costa Rica.
Day 8: Back Home Transfer to the San Jose Airport where you will catch your flight back home. Check in three hours before your scheduled flight home.
- 2 nights accommodation at Hotel in San Jose
- 2 nights accommodations at Hotel in Arenal
- 2 nights accommodations at Hotel Manuel Antonio
- Activities: San Jose By Night-Fortuna Waterfall-Go in the Race Running at the end of the tour with the local people in San Jose.?Run to Poas Volcano entrance fee included-Run in the Sabana Park-Run Rio Chiquito
- Meals as per itinerary (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Support Van Guides
- Recovery drinks
- Airport taxes ($28 approximately in cash)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Tips and gratuities
- Insurance of any kind
- Personal expenses
- Medical costs, hospitalization and evacuation and any other extra expenses due to unanticipated changes in our itinerary for reasons beyond the control
- Meals, souvenirs and other local and personal expenses not specified in the above itinerary are also not included. Extra beverages and alcoholic drinks
- Travel insurance
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A minimum of 2?people per booking is required
- Minimum age is 12 years old
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- A small amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- All passenger heights MUST be advised at time of booking
- All passenger weights MUST be advised at time of booking
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Your hotel in San Jose, Alajuela and Heredia area
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
8 days (approx.)
San Jose area