Witness some of the closest views of Arenal Volcano on a guided hiking tour of the Arenal 1968 Trail, a newer route that winds through the lava flows from the volcano’s notorious 1968 eruption. Explore the varied terrain around the crater, from steep fields of hardened lava rock on the mountain slopes to open fields and wildlife-rich forests. Learn about native plant and animal species from your guide, and soak up the incredible views from an observatory while recharging with an included lunch.
- Guided hiking tour of the Arenal 1968 Trail
- Get some of the best and closest views of active Arenal Volcano
- Trek among the lava fields from the 1968 eruption
- Spot native Costa Rican wildlife and plant species
- Learn about the area’s history and nature from an experienced guide
- Includes a picnic lunch and entrance fees to the private park
What You Can Expect
A “must do” tour in Arenal for sure. Beautiful and impressive Arenal Volcano will amuse you from the beginning of the trip. Our attentive personnel will wait for you at the hotel lobby to lead you to one of our comfortable vans with air conditioning. During the transfer to the trail, which takes about 10 to 30 minutes depending on the hotel location, our guide will talk briefly about the tour itinerary and explain you with detail some really interesting data, about the volcano and the area in general as well.
When arriving to place for the hike in the trail, we will prepare ourselves: repellent, sun block lotion, a bottle of water (included) and a quick visit to the restrooms of the place, are some recommendations for you to enjoy with comfort the tour.
All set, we’ll trek through different scenarios like open lands, lagoon shore, and of course, lava mountain trails where being in good physical condition is necessary to fully enjoy the variable vegetation where we’ll have the chance to meet the local fauna.
You will also found an incredible viewpoint close to the volcano where you’ll find yourself stepping on ancient lava flows turned into stone and views of the Arenal Lake and the landscape around as no other spot in the area. The guide will do his best to give you catching and interesting information about the place, the hiding fauna among the trees and bushes and of course about the Arenal Volcano.
At the end of the trail, a little bit tired, we’ll get to the main observatory of the Arenal 1968 Park where you will enjoy a very well deserved snack and drinks. Enjoy the view of the Arenal scenario and rest on your way back to the hotel.
- Entrance fees
- Bottled water
- Boxed lunch
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Walking sticks provided
- Hiking tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not recommended for child aged 8 years and under
- Dress code is sport
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Centrally located La Fortuna hotels or nearby areas (within 6 miles or 10 km)
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
6 hours (approx.)