Find your bliss with a classic Costa Rican experience that combines a seismic dose of adventure and relaxation! On this full-day trip from San Jose, visit the very active Arenal Volcano and explore its base with a guided nature hike. Then, unwind with a soak in a variety of geothermal pools at the luxurious Tabac?n hot springs. The tour also includes a stop at the artisan town of Sarch?, plus delicious lunch and dinner.
- Day trip from San Jose to Arenal Volcano and the Tabac?n hot springs
- Shop for locally made wood and leather crafts in the town of Sarch?
- Enjoy views of Arenal while you eat lunch in La Fortuna
- Look for lava, take photos of the volcano and admire Lake Arenal at Arenal 1968
- Try out all the thermal pools, from warm to hot to really hot, at Tabac?n Grand Spa Thermal Resort
- Lunch and dinner included
- Small-group tour limited to 20 people
What You Can Expect
Discover why so many visitors flock to Arenal to relax and soak up the majestic scenery. Your full-day tour begins with early morning pickup at your San Jose hotel in a comfortable minivan. After a 35-minute drive, stop briefly in the artisan town of Sarch?, where craftspeople have been making traditional, brightly-painted wooden oxcarts for generations.
Continue on another 2.5 hours to the town of La Fortuna, where you?ll enjoy a typical Costa Rican lunch at a local restaurant with stellar views of the nearby Arenal Volcano. Next, get ready for adventure as you head to Arenal Volcano National Park for a hike around the base of the volcanic cone. You?ll trek along a trail system known as Mirador Arenal 1968, named for the last year that the volcano experienced a major eruption.
Arenal is considered one of the most active volcanoes in the Western Hemisphere and emits a steady stream of smoke and lava from its sputtering crater. Rest assured that trails are carefully screened for visitor safety. Throughout your hike, take in different perspectives of the majestic peak and learn about the area?s geologic history.
Next, it?s time to unwind at the renowned Tabac?n hot springs and resort. Spend the afternoon soaking in natural thermal pools that range from 77 to 102?F (25 to 38?C). You?ll find small secluded pools and larger lagoons with cascading waterfalls, all surrounded by lush tropical scenery. Enjoy about 3.5 hours of leisure time at the spa.
When it?s time for dinner, enjoy a tasty buffet dinner at the resort and soak up the romantic atmosphere of steam rising from the pools and views of the nearby volcano under a starry sky. Sit back and relax into your newfound bliss on the return drive to San Jose, where you?ll be dropped off back at your hotel.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Entrance fee to the Tabac?n hot springs
- Buffet dinner
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A minimum of two passengers is required for the tour to commence. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
- It is recommended that you wear light clothing, comfortable shoes and bring a bathing suit and towel
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Your select San Jose hotel
8 am Duration 13 hours (approx.)
Returns to the original departure point