Serious bird-watchers will delight in this morning tour of a private nature reserve that?s home to more than 365 native bird species. After an easy drive from San Jose, head into the lush Costa Rican rainforest with a naturalist guide to spotting an amazing diversity of feathered creatures including hummingbirds, toucans, macaws and more. Glide through the canopy on an aerial tram for an up-close sighting of birds not often seen from the ground. With the additional price, you can have a hearty breakfast and round-trip transport from San Jose.
- Full-day bird-watching tour inside Rainforest Adventures Costa Rica Atlantic, a private nature reserve
- Wake up early and observe tropical birdlife, like toucans, kingfishers, and motmots, during their most active time of the day
- Stroll through the beautiful scenery of Caribbean foothills, primary and secondary tropical forests
- Cruise along in a quiet, open-air gondola and see birds lurking in the canopy
- Glimpse hard-to-spot birds with the help of a naturalist expert and learn about all the plant and wildlife you see
- Breakfast, lunch and round-trip transport from most San Jose hotels included
What You Can Expect
Bird Watching Tour from San Jose The rain forests of Costa Rica are a bird-watchers paradise! Your avian adventure begins with early morning pickup at your San Jose hotel and a scenic drive of less than 1 hour to the ecotourism reserve of Rainforest Adventures Costa Rica Atlantic. Follow your naturalist guide along jungle paths that wind through the 1,174-acre (475-hectare) reserve as you look for some of the 365 different bird species identified here.
Set up your tripod on paved trails, or break out the binoculars for an up-close view of fantastic tropical birds like motmots, toucans, hummingbirds, and macaws. Your expert guide will point out difficult-to-spot species and help you identify what you see. Cross the Molinete River on a hanging bridge and keep an eye out for sweeping kingfishers that are often seen diving into the water.
Climb aboard an aerial tram for a leisurely, 1-hour ride through the rainforest canopy. From this elevated perspective, observe an abundance of birds not usually seen from the ground. The tram stops along the way so you can soak up the glorious surroundings and observe birds preening, chirping and fluttering.
Take a breakfast break at a scenic overlook and enjoy a hearty boxed meal served with juice, coffee, and tea. Continue your bird-watching expedition along jungle paths, and then climb back aboard the tram for the return trip. Expect to walk a total of 3 miles (5 km) throughout the day.
Finish your tour with one final walk with your guide to a lovely observation site popular with hummingbirds. At the end of your bird-watching bonanza, relax on the return drive to your San Jose hotel.
- Professional guide
- Guided walking tour
- Aerial tram tour
- Entrance fees
- Breakfast? (if option selected)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Binoculars and/or spotting scope
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum age is 12 years
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and hiking shoes
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- A good level of fitness is required
- A minimum of 2 passengers per booking is required. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Departs from centrally located San Jose hotels
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
9 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point