Learn about Bribri culture firsthand on this guided cultural tour from Puerto Viejo Limon. Take a rare glimpse into the?traditions of one of Costa Rica’s only surviving indigenous groups through attending a shamanic ritual, hiking to an important waterfall,?eating lunch in a local home, and more. This tour includes hotel pickup and drop-off, lunch, and a guide.
- Bribri cultural tour from Limon
- Learn about one of Costa Rica’s only indigenous cultures
- Get a rare glimpse into Bribri culture at the epicenter of the Bribri population
- Observe a shamanic ritual to learn more about traditional religious practices
- Take part in traditional agricultural practices, including cocoa grinding
- Eat lunch in a local Bribri home
- Hike to a local waterfall
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
At around 8 am, board your vehicle and head towards the Bribri Reserve, the largest indigenous community in Costa Rica and also Talamanca’s headboard. Upon arrival, you’ll begin your visit to the indigenous community of Watsi.
First, enjoy the opportunity to experience a true Bribri tribe purification ritual by a Shaman (or Awa). To begin, the Shaman welcomes you and begins to explain the various indigenous cultures in Costa Rica including his Bribri culture. Topics covered in the discussion include the history of colonization, fishing, agriculture, ceramics, clothing, Sibu (God), the importance of cocoa and maize, and materials used to build their conical-shaped houses. Next, during the optional portion of the tour where you can participate in the purification ritual, you’ll sit next to the Shaman while he burns special leaves Shamans have used for thousands of years. Taking the leaves that have not been burned in its entirety, the Shaman passes them around the client without making physical contact. Listening to the sound that emits from the leaves, experience how the Shaman can identify if a person has any ailments and offer remedy advice. After this ceremony, the Shaman will play the drum and you’ll participate in a special dance that has many meanings for their culture, which you will learn.
Later, visit the home of an indigenous family, where 5 generations live together under the same roof. In this up-close and personal encounter, you’ll get to know many aspects of their lives and lifestyle. See their houses inside and out. Watch as they prepare a typical meal and taste the indigenous flavors while enjoying lunch. Stroll through their gardens filled with medicinal plants. Grind your own cocoa to make chocolate and learn about their secrets in this age-old process. Taste the chocolate product you’ve prepared along with smelling and tasting other variations.
Lastly, head towards one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the area, the River Waterfall. After a drive and a short hike, you’ll arrive at the waterfall to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of this natural water feature. Take a dip in its refreshing pools if you’re interested. Once you’ve spent a little time here, head to the vehicle for your return to your Puerto de Limon or Cahuita hotel.
- Typical Indigenous lunch
- Local bilingual guide
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Shared tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not recommended for children 3 and under
- If you have not booked a hotel yet, you are required to provide this information to the local operator as soon as possible after your purchase.
- Please be ready and waiting in your hotel lobby at least 30 minutes prior to pick up
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- IMPORTANT: A minimum of 2 passengers per booking is required. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Your hotel?in Puerto Viejo of Limon or Cahuita
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time. Exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
8 hours (approx.)
Returns to the original departure point at approximately 4 pm