Get a dose of Costa Rica’s ?pura vida? lifestyle on this full-day combo tour featuring plenty of sweet treats, adventure, and relaxation. Navigate the rapids of the Balsa River on a whitewater rafting trip, learn how to turn raw cacao beans into delicious chocolate at a cacao farm, and savor lunch at a traditional country estate. The tour includes all food, drink, and equipment, plus round-trip transport from La Fortuna hotels for a stress-free day sampling Costa Rican highlights.
- Full-day whitewater rafting and chocolate tour
- Watch how cacao beans become chocolate with a hands-on demonstration at a cacao farm
- Paddle through exciting class II and III rapids on a whitewater rafting adventure along the Balsa River
- Spot native wildlife such as birds and monkeys along the river banks
- Enjoy lunch at a serene country estate
- All food, drinks, and snacks throughout the day are provided
- No rafting experience required
- Includes round-trip transport from La Fortuna hotels
What You Can Expect
Prepare for morning pickup at your La Fortuna hotel, and pack a swimsuit, an extra change of clothes, and shoes that will stay on your feet for rafting. Ride in an air-conditioned van to a local cacao farm, where you?ll start the day on a sweet note. Explore the history of chocolate in Central America and follow the journey of the cacao bean from planting and harvesting through its transformation into silky dark chocolate products. Try your hand at chocolate making during a live demonstration, and learn how to mix cacao paste with other local ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, and Jamaica flower to create exotic chocolate confections. Balance out your palate with a snack of fresh tropical fruit before moving on.
Next, prepare to get wet as you arrive at the Balsa River for a whitewater rafting adventure. Get a safety orientation and overview of paddling techniques from the river guides, then gear up with provided equipment and launch onto the currents of the Balsa. Put your rafting skills to the test as you splash through thrilling class II and III rapids, keeping an eye out for native wildlife like monkeys, toucans, and sloths along calmer stretches. Give your heart rate a rest with breaks for swimming and refreshing cool drinks with snacks. At the end of the course, change into dry clothe and, if you like, commemorate your rafting adventure by purchasing photos taken during the trip.
Travel on to a traditional Costa Rican country estate, where you can relax over a prepared lunch. The full-day tour concludes with drop-off back at your La Fortuna hotel in the afternoon.
- Professional rafting guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Rafting equipment (tube, vest, and helmet)
- Alcoholic drinks
- Soft drinks
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from hotels outside of immediate La Fortuna area
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Weather dependent. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is flooding or other government river closure. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Participants will get wet, please dress ready to raft in bathing suit and shoes that will stay on feet.
- Not responsible for items lost or damaged on a river, please do not take anything on the river that you are not willing to lose
- Not responsible for items left on transfer bus or on tour, please check carefully before getting off the bus and at end of tours
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Pick up at hotels in immediate La Fortuna area. Additional charge for hotels outside of immediate La Fortuna area.
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to this time
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
8 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point