Satisfy your inner explorer on this 6-hour tour from San Jose that combines a trek to towering Iraz? Volcano with a visit to the historic ruins and Basilica of Cartago. Take in spectacular views from the summit of Costa Rica’s tallest volcano, and uncover centuries of history among fascinating parish ruins and the rich iconography of the Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels.
- 6-hour combo tour to Iraz? Volcano and historic Cartago
- Ascend the summit of Costa Rica’s highest active volcano
- Explore Iraz?’s moon-like landscape and mysterious green lagoon
- Visit 16th-century ruins and an important pilgrimage site in the city of Cartago
- Admire ornate carvings and icons at the Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from San Jose included
What You Can Expect
After morning pickup at your San Jose hotel, travel through a diverse landscape of coffee plantation, ferns, and flower farms to reach Iraz? Volcano National Park. Notice the vegetation and temperature change dramatically as you ascend the slopes of Costa Rica’s tallest volcano, which reaches a majestic 11,260 feet (3,432 meters) above sea level. On a clear day, you may even be able to see both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans from the summit. Take some time to explore the otherworldly, lunar-like landscape and the main crater filled with an enchanting green lagoon.
Descend from the volcanic heights and head next to the historic city of Cartago. Visit the captivating ruins of a 16th-century parish and the ornate Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels, which combines colonial and Byzantine architecture. Learn about Cartago?s rich past as you admire the beautifully restored statues, chapels, and carvings of this popular pilgrimage site.
Relax on the drive back to San Jose, where the 6-hour tour concludes with drop-off at your hotel in the early afternoon, leaving you plenty of time to enjoy an evening in the city.
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A small amount of walking is involved
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Centrally located San Jose hotels
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to this time
6 hours (approx.)
Returns to the original departure point