Hike along the rim of a volcanic lagoon in a tropical rainforest on this 9-hour excursion from La Fortuna. Finish your 4-mile hike with a homemade meal and a trip to a nearby waterfall.
- 9-hour day trip to Cerro Congo Volcano from La Fortuna
- Hike through a rainforest and along the rim of a volcanic lagoon with a guide
- See a large waterfall on your return trip
- Costa Rican lunch in a local family?s home, snacks, and bottled water included
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in an air-conditioned van with WiFi included
What You Can Expect
Meet your guide at your hotel in La Fortuna prior to a 7:30 a.m. departure (confirm with tour provider). Depart the city for a 1.5-hour drive through the plains of San Carlos, on the outskirts of the Juan Castro Blanco National Park, until you reach your trailhead at a volcanic caldera for a 4.3-mile (7-kilometer) hike, taken over the course of three to four hours.
Hike through pastures bordering the forest on your way down to the Hule Lagoon and the smaller Congo Lagoon nearby, and then continue on a second trail bordering the volcanic caldera. Descend through the rainforest and catch clear views of the surrounding landscape. At the end of your hike, enjoy homemade lunch in a local family?s home with a panoramic view of your surroundings.
On the way back to La Fortuna, stop to view the waterfalls of the Toro Hydroelectric Project, which reach 590 feet (180 meters).
- Entrance fees
- Local taxes
- Bottled mineral water
- Energizing Snacks
- Professional guide
- Walking Sticks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan with Wi-Fi
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not recommended for child aged 7?and under
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Your La Fortuna hotel. Pickups from hotels that are located too far from La Fortuna or the main road near the volcano may have an extra charge.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
9 hours (approx.)
Returns to the original departure point