Discover Costa Rica’s famous natural beauty, historical treasures, and fresh flavors on this full-day tour from San Jose. Visit the ruins of a 16th-century church in Cartago, soak up awe-inspiring views into the crater of Iraz? Volcano, and spot native wildlife such as sloths, crocodiles, and monkeys on a cruise down the Sarapiqu? River. Savor a traditional lunch at a private farm and drive through the spectacular Braulio Carrillo National Park to round out a memorable day.
- Full-day combo highlights tour from San Jose
- Hear the legends behind the 16th-century ruins at Cartago
- Head to the summit of Costa Rica’s tallest volcano
- Spot native wildlife on a 2-hour Sarapiqu? River cruise
- Includes a breakfast stop and lunch at a private farm
- Great way to fit several Costa Rican adventures into a single day
- Round-trip transport and park entrance fees included
What You Can Expect
Prepare for an early morning pickup at your San Jose hotel to make the most of this jam-packed day. Stop for breakfast en route to the nearby city of Cartago, home to interesting ruins of a destroyed church and other remnants of a 16th-century colonial settlement. Hear the legends that surround the crumbling chapel before continuing north to Iraz? Volcano National Park. Peer down into the active volcano?s lagoon-filled crater, and enjoy commanding views from the top of the peak. On a clear day, you may be able to catch sight of both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans from the 11,260-foot (3,432-meter) summit.
Next, travel to the riverside town of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqu? and board a covered riverboat for a leisurely 2-hour cruise down the Sarapiqu? River. Keep a sharp eye out for sightings of local wildlife that inhabits the surrounding jungle, such as crocodiles, monkeys, sloths, and toucans. The voyage concludes at a private farm, where you can stretch your legs on hiking trails and enjoy a homestyle Costa Rican lunch.
Pass through the beautiful Braulio Carrillo National Park on the return drive to San Jose, where the 12-hour tour concludes with a hotel drop-off in the evening.
- Tour guide
- Breakfast and lunch
- Entrance fee to Irazu Volcano National Park
- Boat tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- We suggest wearing long pants, comfortable shoes, a hat and bringing a camera
- Minimum of 2 passengers is required for the tour to run; if the minimum size is not reached, the tour is subject to cancellation and all tickets are refunded or rescheduled.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Centrally located San Jose hotels
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
12 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point