Peaceful and calm, the winding mangrove forests of the Preciosa Platanares Wildlife Refuge are best enjoyed by kayak. On this tour, quietly paddle through the brackish waters of a large mangrove forest with a guide who shares interesting information about the plants and animals, but knows when to be quiet to increase your chances of seeing more animals in the wild.
- Preciosa Platanares Wildlife Refuge kayak tour
- A guide leads you through the waters and helps you spot more wildlife
- Learn about local plants and animals as you paddle
- Kayaking is a peaceful way to explore the protected mangrove forest
What You Can Expect
The mangrove kayak tour leaves one or two hours before high tide. This trip explores the mangrove estuaries in Platanares River delta in the Preciosa Platanares Wild Life Refuge. Your knowledgeable guide will lead you up and down a river under the canopy of 70-foot tall mangrove trees. Learn about the mangroves and look for all types of wildlife — monkeys, raccoons, iguanas, Jesus Christ lizards, crabs, crocodiles, caimans, snakes, all types of birds, butterflies!
The trip takes 3 hours, and we supply snacks (tropical seasonal fruits), kayak with backrest for comfort and dual blade paddle, life jacket, instructions before the trip and a knowledgeable guide. No previous experience required.
Suggestions on what to bring:
Dry bags for all your gear, even cameras and video gear are suitable to bring if protected. Bathing suit, sunscreen, long pants and log sleeve shirt of dry fit fabric for sun protection (specially from December to April), tennis shoes or sandals with straps (shoes will get wet), light rain jacket (only from August to November), neck strap to secure glasses, hat, dry clothing, towel, plastic bags for wet clothing. Don?t forget to bring a bottle for water, we provide water to refill your personal recipient, we are trying to help the planet by discouraging the use of disposable bottles.
- Local guide
- Small-group tour (maximum 8 plus guide)
Transportation to/from attractions
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Transport is wheelchair accessible however be prepared for uneven surfaces at the sites visited which may be difficult for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair, please advise.
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Meeting point in Puerto Jimenez
Departure time for this tour is ruled by tides, please pay attention to tour departure time per day. Please show up 15 minutes before departure time for register and safety instructions.
3 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point