Scout for tropical birds, monkeys, crocodiles, and more on a mangrove safari boat ride down the Palo Verde River from Guanacaste. After a scenic drive, sail down the protected waters in Palo Verde National Park, followed by an optional upgrade to include lunch and a visit to a local pottery studio (morning tour only). Round-trip transportation from your lodging on the Guanacaste coast included.
- Mangrove safari on the Palo Verde River
- Opportunities to see diverse wildlife like monkeys, birds, and crocodiles
- Family-friendly tour popular among kids
- Upgrade to include lunch and visit to a local pottery studio
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from Guanacaste coast hotels included
What You Can Expect
Ground transportation is provided from most Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal, Playa Panama, Playa Conchal, Flamingo, Tamarindo, Playa Langosta and Portrero hotels.
AM Boat Tour-Pottery and Lunch:
Your tour begins with pickup from your Guanacaste beach hotel. Driving an hour and a half you will pass melon and papaya fields, grown for export from Costa Rica. Once on the river, you will spend a couple of hours looking for wildlife and taking photos.
The comfortable, covered river boats allow your captain and guide to put you near the bank so you can get close enough to see the howler monkeys, boat-bill herons, and bats that reside on tree bark and take photos. Impressive American crocodiles nest on this river and, if they are hatching, the guides will show you the little ones. Guests are often treated to close-up photos of white-faced capuchin monkeys in the trees near the river banks.
After the boat tour, you stop to enjoy a typical lunch served family style. Local cooks serve meals with steaming bowls of rice and black beans along with warm, homemade tortillas and refreshing a natural fruit beverage.
Your tour continues with artisans who demonstrate their craft, showing local skills passed down through generations. The indigenous residents gather local clay, throw the pieces, fire them in the pre-Columbian style of the Chorotegas (kilns) and polish or paint before adding the final glaze. It is an interesting presentation and you are welcome to take photos. Pottery is available for purchase at the end of the tour.
Be sure to wear comfortable clothes and shoes that will make it easy to get up and down the boat ramp. Apply sunscreen & insect repellent prior to picking up.?Take a backpack with anything you will need for the remainder of the day including cash to tip knowledgeable and informative guides.?Don?t forget your hat or visor, binoculars, and a camera or phone to capture the wildlife encounters.
After the pottery tour, you?will begin the drive back at your hotel.
Afternoon boat tour:
You will be picked up around 1 ? 2 PM, and we will confirm time once you have made your reservation and we know the name of your hotel.? Please be waiting in the hotel lobby 15 minutes prior to reconfirmed departure time. After the boat?tour, you?will begin the drive back at your hotel. Lunch NOT included.
- Wildlife River Boat Tour
- Entrance to Palo Verde National Park
- *Pottery Demonstration by the local artisan (*AM TOUR OPTION ONLY)
- *Hot Typical Lunch with natural fruit beverage (*AM TOUR OPTION ONLY)
- Round trip ground transportation from Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal, RIU, Playa Conchal, Playa Flamingo, Potrero, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Grande, and Playa Langosta hotels.
- Transportation from hotels outside Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal, RIU, Playa Conchal, Playa Flamingo, Potrero, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Grande, and Playa Langosta hotels.? Please contact us before booking, we may pick up for the same price or additional charge, but check first.
- AFTERNOON BOAT TOUR – POTTERY DEMONSTRATION IS NOT INCLUDED
- AFTERNOON BOAT TOUR -? LUNCH IS NOT INCLUDED
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum of 2 persons needed
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Weather permitting. Crew reserves the right to determine if necessary to cancel. If crew cancels, refund or alternate tour will be provided, dependent upon availability
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for wheelchairs
- Not responsible for damage to personal items brought on tour. Bring personal items at your own risk.
- Please be ready and waiting in the lobby?of your hotel?15 minutes prior to reconfirmed departure time
- Drivers will not be able to wait for guests who are not ready when they arrive, and tour cost will be forfeited.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Your hotel in Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal, Playa Flamingo, Playa Conchal, Playa Grande, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Langosta or Portrero
Zone 1: 7-7:45 am ? Playa Hermosa, Playa del Coco, Playa Ocotal, Playa Panama, RIU
Zone 2: 6:45-7am ? Playa Flamingo, Playa Conchal, Playa Grande, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Langosta and Portrero
AFTERNOON BOAT TOUR ONLY:
Zone 1: 11:15 am-12:15 pm ? Playa Hermosa, Playa del Coco, Playa Ocotal, Playa Panama, RIU
Zone 2: 11am-12pm? Playa Flamingo, Playa Conchal, Playa Grande, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Langosta and Portrero
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to this time
6 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point