Trek through a tropical dry rainforest teeming with life on a guided nature hike in the?Werner Sauter Biological Reserve, the only private reserve in Samara. Look for native Costa Rican wildlife while exploring trails with a naturalist guide, and learn about the local cultural and?natural features that help make the region a ‘Blue Zone’ of human longevity. You’ll also visit a display farm to see how people have cultivated and lived in harmony with this part of the Nicoya Peninsula for generations.
- Guided nature hike from Samara
- Explore the privately owned Werner Sauter Biological Reserve with a guide
- Look for native Costa Rican bird and animal life
- Get an up-close look at the plant life of old-and new-growth tropical dry forests
- Learn why the region is home to some of the world’s longest-living people
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
You will be picked up by your guide and driven to the property located in the mountains behind Samara, just 5 minutes from town.?The tour starts off at a display farm set up to show you how the local?farmers lived many years ago, what crops they were planting and?how they lived their day today.
The hike starts off in old growth or first generation dry tropical rainforest where you will come across many types of trees such a pochote, known for its beautiful wood and large spikes. Passing by a small calcium river you will discover why this area is one of five blue zones in the world. In the area, we have over 100 people over 100 years old.?Heading uphill on trails that are groomed but may be uneven or have roots at times, the moderate hike can be made by most people in reasonable shape.
During the hike, the guide will talk about all the flora and fauna you see as well as the myriad of insect and animal life you come across.?Reaching the summit you will?enter the new growth forest and will have the opportunity to relax at a viewpoint overlooking the bay of Samara before heading back down to the beginning trailhead.?This tour changes from day to day because of the animal life that is consistently migrating and the natural growth cycles of the plant life; it is never the same hike twice.
- Transport by private vehicle
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Water and snacks
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not appropriate for children 4 years old or under
- A minimum of 2 people per tour is required. ?One person can book a tour as long as there are other people already going. ?If there is no one else on that tour, the client can choose to pay for 2 spots. If no one else signs up and the client DOES NOT want to pay for two spots, the tour will be canceled.
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Pickup at your hotel
3 hours 30 minutes (approx.)