About the Tour
If you dream about rafting on a wild, tropical river with warm water, the jade-colored?Pacuare is a dream come true!
Rated one of the top rivers in the world, you?ll experience the incredible nature of the rainforest as you raft right through it on 19 miles of Class III-IV whitewater. The warm?water, cascading waterfalls, and lush forest with its brilliantly colored plants, animals,?and birds indulge your senses on every level.
Located on Costa Rica?s Caribbean slope, the Pacuare River borders the Talamanca?Mountain Range, home to native Cabecar people and an incredible variety of wildlife, including parrots, toucans, deer, jaguars, ocelots,? monkeys, butterflies, and more. Add?in the exciting Class III-IV whitewater rapids and you have a tropical adventure packed?with rich experiences that you?ll remember forever.
On the day of your rafting trip, after an early morning pickup from your San Jose hotel, we will transport you in a private, comfortable, air-conditioned bus to the Rios Tropicales Operations Center. There, you?ll enjoy our sumptuous, traditional Costa Rican breakfast?buffet with Do?a Gloria?s famous specialty omelets. After breakfast and changing into rafting gear, we will drive to our private rafting put-in on the banks of the Pacuare River.
Here, our professional, certified rafting guides will outfit you with all necessary equipment, give you a comprehensive rafting safety talk, and instruct you on paddling basics. Then, you and your group will launch your raft and begin to paddle deep into the heart of one of Costa Rica?s most impressive primary rainforests. You will enjoy an adrenaline-packed day running the Pacuare?s famous rapids, with names like Upper and Lower Huacas, Cimarr?n, Dos Monta?as and more. Along the way, you?ll pass through densely vegetated rainforest gorges, view cascading waterfalls, and relax in serene pools in between the exciting rapids.
Halfway down the river, you will pass the Rios Tropicales Lodge, our unique, National Geographic award-winning ecolodge where guests stay on our overnight and multi-day adventure trips. Environmentally sustainable, the intimate lodge blends naturally into the rainforest on our 2,400-acre private reserve, complete with waterfalls, natural pools, and miles of trails. At the river take-out, our short drive back to the Rios Tropicales Operations Center brings you to a hearty and delicious hot lunch, showers, optional drinks, and our souvenir store where you can get a memento to remember your trip. On your return drive in our bus to San Jose, you?ll enjoy remarkable views of Braulio Carrillo National Park and Irazu Volcano. All transportation from and to San Jose is included. This unforgettable trip will be the highlight of your time in Costa Rica!
- Comfortable, private, air-conditioned transportation from San Jose to the river and back, with door-to-door pick-up and drop-off at your San Jose metro area hotel.
- Along the way, one of our friendly, bilingual tour guides will tell you about Costa Rica, the countryside you are passing through, and your river trip ahead.
- Bilingual, International Rafting Federation certified guides, who will inspire you as you paddle down the river informing you about the incredible nature and the company?s sustainable and conservation projects.
- State-of-the-art rafting equipment with top-of-the-line rafts (SOTAR and MARAVIA), helmets, paddles, and U.S. Coast Guard-approved lifejackets.
- Delicious, traditional Costa Rican buffet breakfast with Do?a Gloria?s famous omelets at our Rios Tropicales Operations Center.
- Large men?s and women?s changing rooms with showers and private secure lockers for your personal belongings.
- Hot buffet lunch at the Operations Center; or River Picnic Lunch (in dry season) on a scenic riverbank.
- Minimum Age: 12 years old on Dry Season & 14 years old on Rainy Season
- Trip Length: Approximately 12 hours (3 1/2 hours on the river)