Palo Verde River is a migratory sanctuary for tropical birds and the perfect tour for all ages. Year-round it is home to crocodiles and three types of monkeys, herons, egrets, kingfishers, scarlet macaws and nesting ground for crocodiles.
Your tour begins in the morning, with pickup from DREAMS RESORT in Guanacaste. Driving a couple of hours, you will pass the Guanacaste plains and see melon and papaya fields, grown for export from Costa Rica. Once on the river, you will spend a couple of hours looking for wildlife and taking photos. After the boat tour, you will stop to enjoy a typical lunch.
Your tour continues to visit with a local artisan who will demonstrate their craft, showing local skills passed down through generations using the pre-Columbian style of the Chorotegas. Pottery is available for purchase at the end of the tour.
Return to your hotel.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Excellent value for money
- A popular choice with kids
- All entrance fees included
What You Can Expect
Ground transportation is provided from DREAMS RESORT.
We will confirm pickup time once you have made your reservation. Zone 3 ? 6:15 ? DREAMS RESORT LOBBY
Please be ready and waiting in lobby 15 minutes prior to reconfirmed departure time.
Your tour begins with pickup from your Guanacaste beach hotel. Driving two hours you will pass through the Guanacaste plain and see melon and papaya fields, grown for export from Costa Rica. Once on the river, you will spend a couple of hours looking for wildlife and taking photos.
The comfortable, covered river boats allow your captain and guide to put you near the bank so you can get close enough to see the howler monkeys, boat-bill herons, and bats that reside on tree bark and take photos. Impressive American crocodiles nest on this river and if they are hatching, the guides will show you the little ones. Guests are often treated to close-up photos of white-faced capuchin monkeys in the trees near the river banks.
After the boat tour, you stop to enjoy a typical lunch served family style. Local cooks serve meals with steaming bowls of rice and black beans along with warm, homemade tortillas and refreshing a natural fruit beverage.
Your tour continues with artisans who demonstrate their craft, showing local skills passed down through generations. The indigenous residents gather local clay, throw the pieces, fire them in the pre-Columbian style of the Chorotegas (kilns) and polish or paint before adding the final glaze. It is an interesting presentation and you are welcome to take photos. Pottery is available for purchase at the end of the tour.
Be sure to wear comfortable clothes and shoes that will make it easy to get up and down the boat ramp. Apply sunscreen & insect repellent prior to picking up.?Take a backpack with anything you will need for the remainder of the day including cash to tip knowledgeable and informative guides.?Don?t forget your hat or visor, binoculars, and a camera or phone to capture the wildlife encounters.
After the pottery tour, you?will begin the drive back at your hotel.
- Wildlife River Boat Tour
- Entrance to Palo Verde National Park
- Pottery Demonstration by local artisan
- Hot Typical Lunch with a natural fruit beverage
- Round trip ground transportation from DREAMS RESORT ONLY
- Transportation from any property outside DREAMS RESORT. ? Please contact us before booking, we may pick up at nearby properties for an additional charge, but check first.
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum of 2 persons needed
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Weather permitting. Crew reserves the right to determine if necessary to cancel. If crew cancels, refund or alternate tour will be provided, dependent upon availability
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for wheelchairs
- Not responsible for damage to personal items brought on tour. Bring personal items at your own risk.
- Please be ready and waiting in the lobby?of your hotel?15 minutes prior to reconfirmed departure time
- Drivers will not be able to wait for guests who are not ready when they arrive, and tour cost will be forfeited.
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
DREAMS RESORT LOBBY
We will confirm pickup time once you have made your reservation.
6:15 ? DREAMS RESORT LOBBY
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
8 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point