Explore one of Costa Rica’s supersize natural attractions and the country?s famous wildlife on this half-day shore excursion from Puntarenas. Journey to the top of active Poas Volcano for incredible views of the turquoise lake that fills its steaming crater, and observe rescued wildlife like jaguars, spider monkeys, and electric-colored frogs at La Paz Waterfall Gardens, a private eco-tourism reserve.
- Half-day combo shore excursion from Puntarenas
- Stand at the summit of active Poas Volcano
- See the distinctive turquoise lake that fills the volcano’s main crater
- See rescued jaguars, monkeys, birds, and amphibians at La Paz Waterfall Gardens eco-reserve
- Admire a beautiful tropical waterfall
- Great way to experience Costa Rica’s natural highlights during a day at port
- Freeport pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
Our driver and guide will be waiting to greet you at the Puntarenas port when your ship arrives. Travel from the Gulf of Nicoya inland across the fertile plains of Costa Rica’s Central Valley and into Alajuela province. Observe the temperature and vegetation change as you begin to ascend the slopes of Poas Volcano.
From the summit, which stretches an impressive 8,885 feet (2,708 meters) above sea level, admire sweeping panoramic valley views and gaze down into the main crater filled with a bright blue, acidic lake and steaming fumaroles. Although the volcano has erupted dozens of times, it has not seen a period of major activity with ash clouds since the 1950s, so geologic experts consider it safe to visit. Poas Volcano National Park is also home to many scenic hiking trails and exceptional biodiversity.
After descending from the volcano, journey next to the tropical habitats of La Paz Waterfall Gardens, a private eco-reserve and animal sanctuary that?s home to more than 100 different species. Designed to educate visitors about Costa Rica?s natural bounty and preserve the surrounding ecosystem, La Paz features a network of walking paths that wind through wildlife exhibits like hummingbird and butterfly gardens, a serpentarium, and an aviary. You can also observe rehabilitated mammalian residents like spider monkeys, jaguars, and pumas.
Soak up the lush scenery and see the tropical waterfall that gives the reserve its name before hopping back in the van for the return drive to Puntarenas, where the 5-hour shore excursion concludes at your waiting cruise ship.
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- At the time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at the time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- A minimum of two people per booking is required
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
At the port
Tour start time will be adjusted to your ship’s arrival.
Please indicate your preferred start time in Special requirements.
5 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point