Glide through one of Costa Rica’s most famous birdwatching and croc-spotting destinations on this half-day jungle boat shore excursion from Puntarenas. Cruise with a naturalist guide along the forests and mangroves of the T?rcoles River, which borders Carara National Park and is home to a vast array of wildlife including crocodiles and more than 120 bird species.
- Half-day river boat shore excursion from Puntarenas
- Cruise along the T?rcoles River on the border of Carara National Park
- Explore the jungles and mangrove forests of the river basin
- Spot native wildlife like crocodiles and scarlet macaws
- Boat tour led by a naturalist guide
- Great way to learn about Costa Rica’s amazing biodiversity
- Freeport pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
When your cruise ship docks at Puntarenas, meet your waiting driver at the port and travel inland across Costa Rica?s Central Valley to the launch point on the T?rcoles River. This serene waterway forms the northern border of Carara National Park, an important biological reserve and popular habitat for migratory birds.
Climb aboard a riverboat with a naturalist guide, who will introduce you to the river?s distinctive ecosystems and wild residents. Explore the verdant basin at the mouth of the river, and then venture further up to a mature mangrove forest, characterized by a complex root system that grows straight out of the water.
Along the way, catch sight of native Costa Rican wildlife including Jesus Christ lizards and a famous community of American crocodiles that are often seen along the river banks. The area is also home to the country’s largest population of scarlet macaws and more than 120 species of other birds. Upstream, you?ll also visit the transitional habitat of a native botanic garden to learn about the park?s exceptional diversity of plant life.
After returning to solid ground, relax on the return drive to the port, where the 5-hour tour concludes back at your waiting cruise ship.
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Walking tour
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (recommended)
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
7 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point