Trek through Costa Rica?s lush rainforest on an adventurous day tour from San Jose. Start off with a birds-eye perspective of the jungle canopy from aboard an aerial tram, and then descend to the forest floor for a challenging hike through this wildly diverse ecosystem. With the help of your guide, learn about the surrounding flora and spot native wildlife like tropical birds and howler monkeys. Stop for a swim in a natural tropical pool, and enjoy a replenishing riverside picnic along the way.
- 5-hour rainforest hike in a private nature sanctuary near Braulio Carrillo National Park
- Ride an aerial gondola and then take a difficult 3-mile (5-km) trek through thick tropical forests
- Capture unmatched views of pristine wilderness, walking along the Corinto River
- Swim in a natural pool and enjoy a picnic-style lunch along the riverbank
- Learn about the exotic plant and wildlife you see from an expert naturalist and hiking guide
- Breakfast, box lunch and round-trip transport from most San Jose hotels included
What You Can Expect
Jungle Trekking Tour from San Jose Trade the urban bustle of San Jose for the wild beauty of the jungle with a visit to Rainforest Adventures Costa Rica Atlantic. This 1,200-acre (475-hectares) private eco-reserve borders the Braulio Carrillo National Park and offers miles of scenic jungle trails. Your adventure begins with early morning pickup (if selected) at your San Jose hotel and an approximately 1-hour drive to the reserve. Once you arrive, fuel up for your hike with a hearty Costa Rican breakfast served with coffee, juice, and tea.
Accompanied by a naturalist guide, climb aboard an aerial tram for a 1-hour ride through the rainforest canopy. As you head deeper into the jungle, enjoy a birds-eye perspective of the treetops, where you can observe plant and bird species not typically seen from the ground. Hop off at one of the gondola towers and descend back to the forest floor to begin your hike.
For the next several hours, follow the Corinto River as you hike through dense foliage and scramble over rocks and along muddy paths. Plan to cover about 3 miles (5 km), with an elevation gain of 475 feet (145 meters). Stop at several points along the way to rehydrate and admire the amazing rainforest scenery.
Take a refreshing swim in a natural river pool if you like, and settle in along the riverbank. Hike back along the river trail, and then take a detour back at the gondola tower where you?ll traverse the reserve?s shared border with Braulio Carrillo National Park. Back at the main building, you have a chance to shower and change before the return drive to your San Jose hotel.
Note: Click on ‘View additional info’ to ensure your hotel is included in the pickup and drop-off zone.
- Professional and specialized local guides
- Guided trekking tour
- Aerial tram tour
- Picnic lunch (if option selected)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Transport by minivan or coach (depending on the group size)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum age is 13 years
- A good level of fitness is required
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Not recommended for participants with back problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please wear long sleeve pants and shirt and hiking or rubber shoes or boots
- Please bring a backpack, water, a change of clothes, a hat, insect repellent, a raincoat, and a towel
- Note: The open-air gondola can hold up to 6 passengers plus a tour guide
- A minimum of 2 passengers per booking is required. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Departs from most San Jose hotels
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
9 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point