Explore an ancient landscape that comes alive with bubbling mud pits, steaming volcanic vents, and the screeches of howler monkeys on this hiking tour through Rincon de la Vieja National Park. Learn about the diverse habitats of Guanacaste?s tropical forests from a naturalist guide while trekking, and then recharge with a traditional Costa Rican lunch and coffee break in Liberia.
- Day trip to Rincon de la Vieja National Park from Guanacaste
- Explore an active volcanic landscape on a guided 2-hour hike
- Learn about the tropical dry forest and primary forest ecosystems
- See volcanic mud pits, sulfur ponds, and steam vents
- Includes a typical Costa Rican lunch at a Liberia restaurant
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
After morning pickup at your Guanacaste coast hotel, travel by van roughly 1 hour to reach Rincon de la Vieja National Park, located 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Liberia. Notice the landscape and vegetation change as you approach the slopes of the park?s active volcano. Lace up your hiking shoes and venture into the tropical dry forest and primary forest that make up the park?s ecosystem, learning about the unique features of each from your guide.
Throughout the 2-hour hike, see evidence of the area?s volcanic activity as you pass steaming fumaroles, bubbling mud pits, and sulphuric ponds. Keep an eye out also for the many wild residents that call the park home, such as toucans, agoutis, white-nosed coatis, spider and howler monkeys, and butterflies.
When you complete the hiking circuit, travel back to Liberia and reward your efforts with a hearty Casado lunch plate featuring rice, beans, plantains, and meat or vegetarian fare at a city restaurant. Enjoy a bit of free time to browse local markets for souvenirs or stop for a coffee break (own expense) before returning to your hotel in the afternoon.
- Hiking tour
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- National Park fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Not recommended for child aged 6 and under
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Pick up from the following hotels:
- RIU Guanacaste Hotel
- RIU Palace Costa Rica Hotel
- Coco Beach
- Playa Hermosa
- Villas Sol Hotel and Beach Resort
- Condovac La Costa Hotel
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort
- The Secrets Resort Papagayo
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
7 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point