Hike among the spectacular scenery and mystical aquamarine waters of Tenorio Volcano National Park. On a full-day trip from La Fortuna, discover the amazing biodiversity of Costa Rica?s rainforests while accompanied by an expert naturalist guide. See the beautiful Rio Celeste waterfall that cascades into a clear turquoise lagoon, and watches the mysterious color-changing rivers of Los Te?ideros. After your hike, re-energize with a tasty lunch at a local restaurant.
- Day trip to Tenorio Volcano National Park with a hike to R?o Celeste waterfall
- Take a moderate-level hike (4 to 5 hours round-trip) through a lush rainforest jungle
- Spot and learn about local plant and wildlife from an expert guide
- Admire the impressive R?o Celeste waterfall, lagoon and changing blue waters of Los Te?ideros
- Enjoy a sumptuous lunch at a local restaurant after the hike
- Lunch, pickup, and drop-off from most La Fortuna hotels included
What You Can Expect
Spend a delightful day exploring the natural wonders of Tenorio Volcano National Park. Your tour begins with morning pickup at your La Fortuna hotel, and then a 1.5-hour drive that takes you through the scenic hillsides of Arenal Volcano National Park. Stock up on snacking provisions at a local store if you like (own expense) before entering the majestic beauty of Tenorio Volcano National Park.
Embark on a moderately challenging 4- to 5-hour hike through the lush rainforest of the park. The terrain is steep and rocky at parts, so feel free to hike at a pace that works for you. Your guide will point out highlights of the landscape, including interesting plants and the many types of wildlife that call this area home. Keep an eye out for blue morpho butterflies, tropical birds, tapirs, ocelots, sloths, and spider monkeys.
When you arrive at the Rio Celeste waterfall, you?ll immediately see how this cascade got its name, which means ?sly-blue river.? Admire the crashing waters that empty into a lagoon, which takes on a brilliant blue hue courtesy of natural mineral deposits in the river. Relax along this picturesque scene as your guide shares local myths about how the river got its eye-catching color.
Continue on your hike to the Los Te?ideros, which features the convergence of two rivers in the jungle. Behold the clear waters turning bright blue when they merge as if by magic ? a natural spectacle caused by a chemical reaction of volcanic minerals in the water.
At the end of your hike, rest and refuel with the delicious regional cuisine at a local restaurant before the return drive to your La Fortuna hotel.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is required
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable walking shoes
- Please bring a change of clothes, sunglasses, insect repellent and water
- Tour departs from La Fortuna
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Departs from most Arenal hotels
8 hours (approx.)
Returns to the original departure point at approximately 3:30 pm