Enjoy an insider?s perspective of San Jose on this half-day city walking tour. Accompanied by an expert guide, you?ll get a sense of daily life in the Costa Rican capital as you ride public transportation, stop by a beautiful local park and visit the artisan workshop of a third-generation craftsman. Taste local flavors while you browse stalls at the historic Central Market, savor a traditional lunch at an 80-year-old inn and learn to make tortillas.
- Discover a tale of two cities, exploring the real Costa Rica in San Jose and Escazu, the ?City of Witches”
- Walk the spiritual route of churches and learn the rich local history of Catholicism
- Experience the lively atmosphere of the Central Market, and ride like a local about public transport
- Visit a legendary masquerade family, renowned for their traditional Costa Rican masks
- Feast on authentic local cuisine in a 100-year-old restaurant
- Enjoy a sample of traditional chicha as well as a coffee tasting
What You Can Expect
Discover the hidden urban treasures of San Jose with a knowledgeable local guide. Kick off your walking tour at Espa?a Park, a popular urban refuge with lovely, tree-shaded pathways. After walking by the Costa Rican National Museum, hop aboard a local city bus and head to the historic Central Market. Learn about local produce and agriculture as you explore the labyrinth of stalls and enjoy an aromatic cup of Costa Rican coffee. Your next stop is the old city of Escazu, home to the beautiful La Sabana Metropolitan Park. Enjoy traditional Costa Rican cuisine and take in the daily lunch scene at an 80-year-old inn. Top off your meal with a glass of chicha, a popular local drink.
After lunch, take a peek into the traditional artisan scene at the home and workshop of a renowned mask-making family. Colorful masks are an important part of Costa Rican festivities, and you?ll get to hear about their history and handmade creation when you meet a third-generation craftsman.
Finally, tour a local bakery that?s been churning out delicious, fresh-baked goods for almost a century. Learn how to make traditional tortillas and wash down a sampling of house-made bread with another cup of fresh-brewed coffee. Your tour will wrap up in front of the ornate Costa Rica National Theatre back in central San Jose.
- Local English speaking guides
- Traditional Costa Rican Tapas
- Local Transportation
- Masquerade Show
- Chicha drink
- Cup of organic coffee
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Please wear comfortable, casual clothing for walking
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ?child? above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you?ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
- The temperature drops in the late afternoon, so please bring light jackets and/or long sleeved shirts.
- For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Main entrance of the National Theatre (Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica), at 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street, San Jos?.
4 hours (approx.)
Concludes at National Theatre at approximately 3:30 pm