This tour combines the Costa Rican delights of chocolate tasting and wildlife encounters all in a single, fun-filled day! Visit La Selva Biological Reserve, which claims UNESCO Biosphere Reserve status and provides great opportunities to observe animals and birds in their natural habitat. Get your chocolate fix at a tasting of locally made cacao products while learning about the fascinating history and cultivation of the cacao bean in Central America.
- Tropical rainforest walk and chocolate tasting from San Jose
- Spot rare tropical birds at La Virgen del Socorro
- Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant
- Take a guided hike through La Selva Biological Reserve, home to 400 species of birds
- Learn about how La Selva and the Braulio Carrillo National Park are part of a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve at the La Selva Organization for Tropical Studies
- Visit Tirimbina Rainforest Center and learn about cacao and enjoy a chocolate tasting
- Get a closer look at the home of leafcutter ants
What You Can Expect
Discover the wild and flavorful treasures of Costa Rica’s rainforest on a full-day combo tour. Meet up with your tour guide in downtown San Jose for the approximately 2-hour drive north. Your first stop is the private reserve at La Virgen del Socorro, where you can birdwatch for hummingbirds and hawks.
Enjoy a typical Costa Rican lunch before journeying on to the beautiful Sarapiqu? region and Braulio Carrillo National Park. Walk across the gentle Sarapiqu? River on a suspension bridge, and then continue to your next stop ? the renowned La Selva Biological Reserve. This popular ecotourism destination is distinguished as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and is the site of important conservation work to preserve Costa Rica?s natural bounty. Take a guided nature walk through the rainforest and keep an eye out for some of the 400 bird species found in the area.
Next, stop at the Tirimbina Rainforest Center to discover the ancient history of cacao in Central America. Learn how the beans are grown and harvested before being turned into a variety of delicious chocolate products. Enjoy a selection of tasty cacao-based treats locally made by the Association of Women Amazilia del Caribe.
Wrap up the afternoon with a visit to a leafcutter ant farm, where you can watch these amazing insects hard at work within their complex colonies. After a full day of adventure, sit back and relax on the scenic return drive to San Jose.
- Professional English- and Spanish-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Each walking trail in La Silva is approximately 3 hours, principally on cement or wood trails suitable for people of all ages and with good mobility. Please remember that the temperature rises during the day, reaching its peak in midday. Participants on this tour must be in good health.
- It is recommended that you wear closed-toed shoes/hiking boots and a raincoat or poncho
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children aged 5 years and younger are welcome at no charge
- ?For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Tour departs from either National Stadium or National Theater in San Jose
6:30am – National Stadium7am – National Theater
10 hours (approx.)
Returns to the original departure point at approximately 5 pm