Sail away to the tropical paradise of Tortuga Island! On this full-day trip from San Jose, enjoy a cruise across the Gulf of Nicoya to the white sandy beaches and aquamarine waters of this postcard-perfect island. Soak up the sun on the beach, snorkel among tropical fish, or explore the island?s forested trails for a memorable escape. Savor a tasty beachside lunch buffet and relax on the round-trip ride from your San Jose hotel.
- Full-day trip to Tortuga Island with a local guide, from San Jose
- Look for dolphins, seabirds, and other marine life during the boat cruise through the Gulf of Nicoya
- Enjoy several hours at your leisure to soak up the island beauty
- Explore the hiking trails or swim in the calm sea surrounding Tortuga Island
- Snorkel, share a banana boat ride or hop into a kayak to paddle along the coast (each at additional expense)
- Savor a tasty buffet lunch served on the beach
- Includes round-trip transport from your central San Jose hotel
What You Can Expect
Create your own day in paradise on a full-day escape to Tortuga Island. Be ready for an early morning pickup at your San Jose hotel in order to maximize the day?s adventures. Relax on the scenic 1.5-hour drive to the Pacific coast, and satisfy your breakfast cravings with an onboard snack. At the coastal town of Puntarenas, hop aboard a boat and relax on the spacious deck for the 2-hour ride to Tortuga. Feel the cool tropical breeze on your face and admire the verdant passing shoreline and aquamarine waters of the Gulf of Nicoya. Keep an eye out for dolphins and other marine life along the way.
Jungle-covered, gently sloping cliffs, and white sandy beaches will welcome you to Tortuga Island. Once you step ashore, the day is yours to spend however you please. Relax and catch some rays on the island?s pristine beaches, or venture out into the crystal-clear waters for a swim. Snorkeling equipment, kayaks, and banana boats are all available to rent for a small fee. You can also head inland to explore Tortuga?s tree-shaded nature trails and try your luck at spotting native wildlife.
When you?re ready for lunch, enjoy a gourmet beachside buffet prepared by your guide. Savor a selection of fresh salads, grilled fish and chicken, and sides of rice, saut?ed vegetables, and fresh fruit. Quench your thirst with water, wine or aromatic Costa Rican coffee. Get into the spirit of the tropics as local musicians provide upbeat island tunes.
After about 5 hours on the island, return to the boat and continue relaxing on the ride back to Puntarenas. You?ll be taken by coach back to San Jose and dropped off at the door of your hotel in the evening.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Buffet lunch
- Light refreshments and wine (served during lunch)
- Professional guide
- Boat cruise
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional activities – snorkeling and/or banana boat plus beach chair ($15 USD each)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes and bring a swimsuit, towel, sunblock and a hat
- Minimum age to drink wine is 18 years
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Tour departs from select San Jose hotels
6am Duration 12 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point