Tortuguero is one of the most important places of the world where sea turtles can reproduce, so we try to find and watch the different nesting processes always with respect and order to ensure the safety of the animal and the visitors. the tour has a duration of around 2 hours max, it’s mean that if we are lucky and we are able to see all the different stages of the process we leave immediately to not disturb other turtles on the beach, which is very important to keep the balance between the tourism and conservation. in the tour you will be with a guide all the time to give you an explanation about the turtle and what are you seeing and also to give you the instructions to not disturb the animal on the process of watching the stages. the place where we go it is located the part in the national park and part in the public area.
What You Can Expect
1. The National park organizes a kind of lottery to assign spaces and time for the tour, this means we depend on park decision for the tour time which can be from 8 pm to 10 pm or 10 pm to 12 pm, at around 5:30 pm we can confirm the time of the activity.
2. There are 2 areas where they could assign us for the tour, the public area, and park area. It means that if you are assigned for the park area you will need the national park entry ticket ($15 P/P) and you cannot avoid this payment and also we cannot warranty and specific area because of the lottery system. In this case, we really recommend doing the tour the same day than the canoe tour so this way you can use the same ticket from the morning for the turtle tour in case you need it.
3. For the turtle tour, the national park office ask for an extra payment of $5 not included in the tour price, why you need to pay this? cause they use this money for the Spotter Program which helps all the way in the tour, what they do specifically find the turtle for the group and this way we don’t need to walk all along the beach looking for the animal, also this help to not disturb all the turtles on the beach.
4. No Technology admitted! the National park is very clear about the use of any kind of tech device, including cell phones or cameras. Sea Turtle is very sensitive to lights and noise so is completely prohibited by the National park office, flashlights are allowed just for the trails.
5. We move to the sectors walking, sometimes just 20 minutes or 1 hour it depends of the sector and we normally try to go the closest area is possible but as you already know we depend on the lottery for the places we need to go. in case we have to go to one of the far areas we can pay a taxi (2-5$) if it’s ok for the all group which is not included on the price and need to be approved for the all group, in case someone doesn’t want to pay the transportation we all have to walk.
6. The tour has a maximum duration of 2 hours, it means that we have two hours to try to see the turtle and is very important to be clear about this point because we have two important things to be clear at this moment. the first one is that this is a natural process and consequently unpredictable so we CANNOT WARRANTY at all you will see the animal or the processes but you can be sure we will try very hard to make it happen and the second thing is that’s if we found the turtle early in the tour and we have the chance to see all the processes in less time we need to leave immediately to not disturb other turtles.
7. This is an amazing tour with high chances to see the turtle in the nesting season, is a unique experience which you will keep with you for the rest of your life. if you are wondering about what are the probabilities about finding the turtle, we believe its around 90% in the nesting season but remember we still had 10% of chances to not see any turtle.
- Local taxes
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Normally we leave 15-30 minutes before the activity to reach the assigned place
1 to 2 hrs