Visit the Central Market in San Jose on this guided tour and learn about its 136-year history. There, sample regional staples like tropical seasonal fruit, tortillas, ice cream, Costa Rican coffee, and other local specialties. Plus, find out how and why San Jose became the capital city of Costa Rica.
- Learn about the city and its culture through its food market
- Find out why San Jose became the capital city
- Morning and afternoon tour times are available
- Hotel pickup and drop-off is included for an additional charge
What You Can Expect
Once you greet?your guide in front of our National Theater and he’ll tell you a little bit of the history and economic circumstances that lead to this magnificent structure being built.
From there you’ll walk for a few blocks and travel back in time to see where it all started: where, when and why San Jose was born and how it came to become the capital.? You’ll then get to the Central Market built in 1880.?Once inside, your local guide will show you a few hidden secrets of the market and you’ll get to sample our unique local flavors, from tropical seasonal fruit to traditional cuisine, legendary ice cream, and of course, our world famous Costarican coffee.
- Walking tour
- Small-group tour
- Food tasting
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option not selected)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
- A small amount of walking is involved
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Meeting point: in front of the National Theater.
Monday to Saturday at 10:00 am or 3:00 pm
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
3 hours (approx.)