Discover the colonial treasures and culinary delights of Heredia on this train and coffee tour from San Jose. Ride the Old Atlantic Railroad to the historic town, nicknamed the ?City of Flowers,? to stroll among colonial architecture and visit a local market. Get a caffeine buzz during a guided tasting of Costa Rican coffee, complete with lunch and a hands-on barista lesson.
- Coffee and sightseeing tour in Heredia from San Jose
- Ride a historic railway to the lovely, lush suburb
- Admire colonial architecture and visit a local market
- Learn about the Costa Rican coffee industry with a tour and guided the tasting
- Make specialty drinks like espresso and cappuccino
- Typical Costa Rican lunch included
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people
What You Can Expect
Meet your guide for the day inside the Old Atlantic Rail train station, centrally located near San Jose?s National Park (Parque Nacional). Climb aboard a train car for the roughly 45-minute ride to the charming, historic suburb of Heredia. Learn about the colonial heritage of the town, which dates back to 1705 and boasts the nickname ?City of Flowers? thanks to its abundance of gardens and greenery.
When you arrive, set off by foot to explore Heredia?s highlights. See fine examples of colonial architecture, such as the El Fortin tower that survives from a historic Spanish fort and the La Immaculate Concepcion church, featuring imported Peruvian bells and some of the country’s oldest stained-glass art. Stroll through the pleasant Central Park (Parque Central), a popular local gathering spot thanks to surrounding shops and restaurants and the La Casa de la Cultura exhibition space. Be a part of the daily bustle at the central market, a great place to explore local handicrafts.
Next, get a taste of Costa Rica’s most famous export with a tour and tasting at a specialty cafe. Follow the journey of the ?golden bean? from planting and harvesting through roasting, and indulge in a professional coffee tasting session. You’ll even have a chance to pick up some barista skills with a lesson in preparing espresso, cappuccino, and other coffee-based drinks. Cap off the caffeinated experience with an included lunch.
Catch the train back to San Jose, where the 6.5-hour tour concludes in the afternoon near San Jose?s Sabana Park.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Train fare
- Lunch and coffee sampling
- Transportation to and from the meeting point
- Food and beverages other than specified above
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Please wear hiking shoes and bring a sweater, hat, and a bottle of water.
- Maximum 12 people per tour
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Inside the Old Atlantic Rail train station, Parque Nacional
6 hours 30 minutes (approx.)
Crown Plaza Hotel by Sabana Park