Costa Rica to Nicaragua multi-day tour, travel with us from La Fortuna (Costa Rica) to El Castillo (Nicaragua). Get enchanted by El Castillo: family adventure at a picturesque riverside town. First, you travel from La Fortuna to Las Tablillas, border crossing with Nicaragua, by air-conditioned transportation, this is a shared transfer. After border formalities, you continue by air-conditioned transportation to San Carlos (Nicaragua). In San Carlos, your journey continues by public boat to your hotel in the village of El Castillo. Here you stay two nights and afterward you return to La Fortuna.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- An ideal choice for families
- Editor’s Pick
What You Can Expect
Your multi-day tour (3 days) starts in La Fortuna. After pick up at your hotel by air-conditioned transportation you first travel for 2 hours to Los Chiles where there is a coffee break. Afterwards, you go to Las Tablillas which is the border crossing with Nicaragua at about 20 minutes from Los Chiles. Before going to Las Tablillas you first stop at a small office?in Los Chiles?to pay the exit taxes.?Once you arrive at Las Tablillas you to do the border formalities at the Costa Rican side of the border after that you walk across to the Nicaraguan side of the border, only a short walk of 500 feet (150 meters). Here your guide waits for you to assist you with the immigration process. Your guide accompanies you to the air-conditioned transportation that takes you to San Carlos (Nicaragua). Once you arrive in San Carlos you have lunch. Then your guide leads you to the dock where your journey continues onto Rio San Juan where the village of El Castillo is situated. After 3 hours you get to your hotel. Upon arrival at your destination, the scenic town of El Castillo, where you meet the hospitable inhabitants of this very special place. The next day after breakfast, it is time for some adventure! In a wooden canoe, you slowly traverse a narrow river, experiencing breathtaking flora and fauna. Your guide introduces you to the traditional way of fishing. You have the afternoon at leisure to stroll around the historical town of El Castillo, where you get acquainted with the daily life of the friendly inhabitants, you also visit the famous fortress (included). The evening brings you yet another remarkable expedition, a nocturnal caiman boat tour! This truly unique experience allows you to observe the natural habitat of these impressive reptiles. The next day you are leaving back to San Carlos at 07:00 AM and afterwards to La Fortuna (Note: On Sundays the boat leaves earlier to San Carlos, at 05:30 AM, if you go back on Sunday you have a complimentary drink and a city walk in San Carlos included before you head back to Costa Rica). Your guide again assists you at the border, Nicaraguan side, with the border formalities, after that transportation waits for you at the Costa Rican side to take you back to a restaurant in Los Chiles. Here you have lunch (included) and then you go back to your hotel in La Fortuna. You arrive in La Fortuna at 3:30 PM.
- Ground transportation La Fortuna – San Carlos (Nicaragua) and vice-versa
- Transport by air-conditioned transportation
- Border assistance Nicaraguan side of the border
- Bilingual guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees Fortress
- Canoe tour
- Caiman watching tour
- Shared boat transportation, San Carlos – El Castillo and vice-versa
- Lunch (first and last day)
- 2 nights accommodation
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Mandatory U$8 per person Costa Rica departure tax which is payable at the time of tour check-in
- Mandatory US$14 per person Nicaragua entrance tax and departure tax
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide (from La Fortuna to San Carlos)
- Children get a discount, this only applies to two children being accompanied by two adults
- Minimum numbers of passengers. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
All hotels in La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10-mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied.
Departure time 7:30 am every day
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
3 days (approx.)
All hotels in La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10-mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied