Costa Rica to Nicaragua multi-day tour, travel with us from La Fortuna (Costa Rica) to your lodge at the Rio San Juan (Nicaragua). Your getaway to the San Juan river, enjoy the peace and tranquility of this place! First, you travel from La Fortuna to Las Tablillas, border crossing with Nicaragua, by air-conditioned transportation, this is a shared transfer. After border formalities, you continue by air-conditioned transportation to San Carlos (Nicaragua). In San Carlos, your journey continues by public boat to the village of El Castillo. From El Castillo, another boat waits for you to bring you to your lodge in about 20 minutes. Here you stay one night and afterward you return to La Fortuna.
What You Can Expect
Your multi-day tour (2 days) starts in La Fortuna. After pick up at your hotel by air-conditioned transportation you first travel for almost two hours to Los Chiles where you have a coffee break. Afterward, you go to Las Tablillas which is the border crossing with Nicaragua at about 20 minutes from Los Chiles. Before going to Las Tablillas you first stop at a small office?in Los Chiles?to pay the exit taxes.?Once you arrive at Las Tablillas you complete the border formalities at the Costa Rican side of the border after that you walk across to the Nicaraguan side of the border, a short walk (150 meters). Here your guide waits for you to assist you with the immigration process. Your guide accompanies you to the air-conditioned transportation that takes you to San Carlos (Nicaragua). Once you arrive in San Carlos you have lunch. After this, your guide leads you to the dock where your journey continues by boat onto Rio San Juan where the village of El Castillo is situated. After 3 hours you get to El Castillo. Upon arrival at your destination, the scenic town of El Castillo, you visit the Fortress of El Castillo and afterward you board another boat that takes you in 20 minutes to your peaceful location.
The next day you are leaving back to San Carlos at 07:00 AM and afterwards to La Fortuna (Note: On Sundays the boat leaves earlier to San Carlos, at 05:15 AM, if you go back on Sunday you have a complimentary drink in San Carlos before you head back to Costa Rica). Your guide again assists you at the border, Nicaraguan side, with the border formalities, after that transportation waits for you at the Costa Rican side to take you back to a restaurant in Los Chiles. Here you have lunch (included) and then you go back to your hotel in La Fortuna. You arrive in La Fortuna at 3:30 PM.
- Roundtrip shared transfer (La Fortuna – San Carlos and vice-versa)
- Border assistance Nicaraguan side of the border
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Visit El Castillo
- Entrance fees Fortress El Castillo
- Shared boat transportation San Carlos – El Castillo and vice-versa
- Boat transportation El Castillo – Lodge and vice-versa
- 1-night accommodation
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- The listed price does not include a US$8 per person Costa Rica departure tax, payable at the time of tour check-in. The departure tax is required by our local supplier and/or the local transit or governing authority and is not within our control. The entrance/exit fees in Nicaragua are US$14 per person.
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide (from La Fortuna to San Carlos)
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel (passport need to be valid for at least 6 months prior to the date of entry into Costa Rica/Nicaragua).
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
All hotels in the La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10-mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied
Departure time 7:30 am every day
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
2 days (approx.)
All hotels in the La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10-mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied.