When your cruise ship docks on Costa Rica’s Caribbean coast, spend a half day exploring local culture and the wildlife-rich canals of Tortuguero Canal Tours with this combo shore excursion from Limon. Spot famous rainforest residents like monkeys, sloths, and crocodiles on a riverboat cruise, and learn about Costa Rica’s banana and coffee industries with a visit to the Chiquita Banana plantation and a village market. You?ll also sample Costa Rican cuisine with your choice of lunch (not included) at a beachside eatery or a restaurant with panoramic views.
- Half-day combo shore excursion from Limon
- Look for monkeys and crocodiles on a 1-hour boat tour of the Tortuguero Canals
- Learn about local commerce at the world-famous Chiquita Banana plantation
- Shop for coffee and other local products at the village market
- Try fresh Costa Rican cuisine at a restaurant with a view (own expense)
- Great way to explore the nature and culture of Costa Rica’s Caribbean coast
- Port pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
Meet your driver and guide at Limon’s cruise port, and travel to the smaller port of Moin, situated near the mouth of the Tortuguero canals. Climb aboard a shaded riverboat for a leisurely 1-hour cruise through the narrow canals that descend from Costa Rica’s high country out into the Caribbean Sea. Glide through this lush, fertile part of the country past cocoa plantations and floral gardens while a guide helps you spot native wildlife such as crocodiles, monkeys, iguanas, sloths, and a vibrant array of birds.
At the end of the boat ride, step back onto solid ground and embark on a tour of the surrounding area for a glimpse into eastern Costa Rica?s commerce and culture. The tiny country is the world?s second largest banana exporter, with 80% of its banana fields in Limon province. Stop outside the famous Chiquita Banana plantation to learn how the fruit is cultivated, processed, and shipped all around the globe, and then treat your senses to Costa Rica?s other celebrated export with a chance to purchase coffee from a local market in Tortuguero village.
Finally, taste simple but fresh Costa Rican cuisine with a stop for lunch at your choice of a beachside restaurant or one with a stellar view of Limon (food and drink own expense). With a satisfied stomach, relax on the return drive to the Limon port and your waiting cruise ship.
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Tour start time will be adjusted to your ship’s arrival time.
Please indicate your preferred start time in the Special Requirements.
Returns to the original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- At the time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.