Challenge yourself with an intensive hike around the old lava fields and craters of Arenal Volcano. Experience two different peaks up close and from different angles on a strenuous, 6- hour trek through the Costa Rican rainforest. Cool off along the way with a swim in a lake and waterfall pools, and reward your efforts with a tasty picnic lunch and relaxing soak in volcanic mud pits and hot springs. The hike ends around sunset, offering a chance to see nocturnal animals emerging in the jungle.
- Explore Arenal’s volcanic landscapes on a challenging 6-hour hike
- Trek across historic lava fields and swim in mineral-rich pools and hot springs
- Look for native Costa Rican wildlife such as monkeys, sloths, and tropical birds
- The rewarding and safe way for outdoor enthusiasts to experience the beauty of Arenal
What You Can Expect
Get into the rainforest hiking around Arenal Volcano &?Chato Hill, you will hike for more than 6 hours with at the shadow of both volcanoes, passing lava rocks formations from 1525, 1968 and 2010, swim in the beautiful lake created for lava rivers about 525 years ago. Enjoy the most amazing views of the northern plains and also some views of the Arenal Volcano; the tour includes a box lunch (Sandwich, fruit, and juice) in the middle of the rainforest.
We will have the chance to see some wildlife common from the rainforest area as birds, monkeys, frogs, insects and some others, we will visit La Danta waterfall where you can swim, also go to the volcanic mud pond where you can put it in your body and make remarkable pictures. On the way to the Observatory Lodge, you?will pass two hanging bridges in the rainforest, always surrounded by beautiful?flora and wildlife.
You will visit the museum of Arenal Volcano to learn about one of the most active volcanoes in the world (From 1968 to 2010). Near the end of the tour on the sunset, you will be able to see nocturnal wildlife emerging from the jungle. Finally, you will enjoy the natural hot springs river where you can relax from a long day of hiking. A Costa Rican popular cocktail will be served to finish the adventure.
- Entrance fees
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected – Depending on your Hotel it can have an extra charge)
- Walking tour
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Not recommended for participants with back problems
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
You can present either a paper or mobile ticket for this activity.
Local operator information
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Ticket. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Schedule and Pricing
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible – we 100% guarantee it. Your currency is set to USD.
Hotel pick up
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
10 hours (approx.)
Returns to original departure point Language options